I suppose it goes without saying that everyone is, by now, familiar with the following image:
Figure 1: Get over it
It appears that damn near everyone in the country is upset about this cover except me and the The New Yorker’s Editor (and, of course, whoever drew the damn thing). In fact, when I first saw the cover, I laughed so hard I damn near crapped my pants.
First of all, the fucking thing is clearly over-the-top political satire. Anyone that’s ever read The New Yorker, or even heard of it for that matter, is familiar with the fact that the magazine is CONSTANTLY printing controversial political cartoons designed to make people challenge their own perceptions. This naturally leads self-important reactionary left-wing douchebags (and so-called Educated Black People) to make pompous statements like the following:
“Yea it’s satire, and I know WE [pompous liberal yuppie douches] get it, but I don’t think the ‘others’ in America will.”
This shit enrages me for two sets of reasons:
- Generally speaking, pompous liberal yuppie douches are NOT that intelligent – and yes, I draw SHARP distinctions between intelligence and education
- The vast majority of Americans DO NOT read The New Yorker
- Liberal douches are aware that most Americans DO NOT read The New Yorker
- If liberal douches think the cartoon would damage Obama’s image if it were exposed to the masses…why are they making such a fuss about it and shoving it into the national spotlight? SHUT THE FUCK UP THEN, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!
- The outrage displayed is, therefore, a disingenuous mechanism for gathering props from/getting laid by other liberal yuppie douches who find logically vacuous righteous indignation super fucking sexy
- The vast majority of Americans fall into one of two camps: those who like Obama, and those who do not
- The Americans that like Obama see the cartoon for what it is – a round lampooning of the ridiculous statements concerning Obama’s patriotism, heritage, religion, and ambitions made by…
- The Americans that do not like Obama. The effects of this cartoon on them will at worst reinforce internalized notions about Obama that nobody was about to change anyway, and at best (and far more likely) force them to realize just how RIDICULOUS their opinions are
People need to pipe the fuck down with the kneejerk self-righteous self-aggrandizing false outrage already. Obama has way bigger problems that a magazine whose cartoon, while controversial, will do nothing but help his chances.
Jesus fucking Christ.